Installation on Windows
From VCMI Project Wiki
Step 1: Download and install VCMI
Install one of following into new folder, same as when installing new game:
- Latest release (recommended): https://github.com/vcmi/vcmi/releases/latest
- Daily builds (unstable): https://builds.vcmi.download/branch/develop/Windows/
- Please report about problems on GitHub: Bug Tracker
Step 2: Installing Heroes III data files
Since VCMI 1.2 you can skip this step, just run VCMI launcher and it will help you with importing H3 data. For older releases you can follow this step.
- Install Heroes III from disk or using GOG installer.
- Copy "Data", "Maps" and "Mp3" from Heroes III to:
Create this folder if it doesnt exist yet
Step 3: (for release 1.0.0 and above) connect to the mod repository
- If that's your first installation, connection to the mod repository will be configured automatically, you'll see mods available to install from VCMI launcher
- We recommend you to install VCMI extras to support different screen resolutions and active various helpful UI tools
- If you don't see mods available to install, go to settings tab of the launcher and make sure that you have correct link in "repositories" text field:
- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/vcmi/vcmi-mods-repository/develop/vcmi-X.json (where X is downloaded version number, for example vcmi-1.2.json)
Step 3: (for old builds 0.99 and earlier) download and copy and enable Essential Package
- Skip this step if you installed 1.0.0 or latest daily build
- For some technical reasons it wasn't included in game installation package for legacy versions and needs to be downloaded and activated seperately
- Download "VCMI essential files mods" from here https://wiki.vcmi.eu/Mod_list#Utilities
- After unpacking, copy folder Mods to your main VCMI directory
- When launching game, please enable "VCMI essential files" as well as its sub-elements: Andruids Bonus Icons, Bonus Icons, Spell Immunity bonus icons, Extra resolutions and Default templates.