The purpose of VCMI project is to rewrite entire HOMM 3: WoG engine from scratch, giving it new and extended possibilities. We hope to support mods and new towns already made by fans but abandoned because of game code limitations.
VCMI is fan-made open-source project in progress. We already allow support for maps of any sizes, higher resolutions and extended engine limits. However, although working, the game is not finished. There are still many features and functionalities to add, both old and brand new.
As yet VCMI is not standalone program, it uses Wake of Gods files and graphics. You need to install WoG before running VCMI.
What VCMI is NOT
VCMI is not another mod. It does not aim to add new content or modify original mechanics. However, in the future it will be a base for other projects which do so.
Below are listed major features that are (not) implemented. For exact list of implemented objects, artifacts, spells and so on, please check VCMI Item Implementation Status Spreadsheet.
What is done
- Support for HoMM 3 graphics and maps
- Choosing scenario options
- Adventure map and interactions with all objects
- Support for non-standard screen resolutions
- Complete Town interface
- Hero and Hero Meeting windows
- Kingdom overview window
- Battle interface, handling most of spells
- Basic battle AI
- Basic adventure AI
- Hot-seat mode
- Victory and loss conditions
- Stack Experience, Commanders
- Mod support, including new towns, creatures and artifacts
- Random map generator
- Network game (How much that works is a little unkown but two-players should work)
What is still missing (see TODO list)
- Network game
- Possibly cheat-proof multiplayer mode
- Many of WoG features, like Mithril
- Scripting engine
- Lots of minor features
What has been added
- New resolutions (1024x600, 1024x768, 1280x800, 1280x960, 1280x1024, 1366x768, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1080 and 1920x1080). This resolutions work only while in-game, not in map choosing screen. Resolution can be selected from in-game system settings menu.
- Stack queue - queue of stacks similar to this from Heroes V (although it doesn't follow its initiative mechanism). To toggle it on/off just press Q while in battle.
- == Timeline ==
- May 2007 - Project started
- Jun 08 2007 - VCMI 0.1 released
- Aug 06 2007 - VCMI 0.2 released
- Oct 24 2007 - VCMI 0.3 released
- Dec 29 2007 - VCMI 0.4 released
- Feb 01 2008 - VCMI forum set up
- Feb 02 2008 - VCMI 0.5 released
- Feb 23 2008 - Project has been publicly announced, VCMI 0.54 released
- Jun 01 2008 - VCMI 0.6 released
- Feb 01 2009 - Project becomes open-source, VCMI 0.7 released
- Oct 01 2009 - VCMI bugtracker set up
- Mar 01 2010 - VCMI 0.8 released
- Apr 01 2010 - VCMI wiki opened
- Oct 01 2012 - VCMI 0.9 released
- Nov 01 2014 - VCMI 0.97 released
- Apr 01 2015 - VCMI 0.98 released
- Nov 01 2016 - VCMI 0.99 released